2020 Bowtie Classic set for Sept. 5 at Forest Hills
KEY EVENT DETAILS: In anticipation of continued need for social distancing, the 2020 Bowtie Classic will be played with scheduled tee times starting at 7:30 a.m.
- Two foursomes will go out every 10 minutes, one starting on the 1st Hole tee box and the other on the 10th Hole.
- Teams may request a tee time between 7:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- Tee times will be assigned first-come, first-served. Teams will be notified of scheduled tee time prior to the event.
- A box lunch will be available as each foursome takes the turn for their second nine.
- The event’s Knowledge Open quiz will be modified — with questions asked at a limited number of holes. For each correct answer, the team subtracts one stroke from their golf score. Winning teams are selected based on lowest overall score.
- Hole prizes will be available for competitions on several holes.
- Raffle tickets will be sold in advance and on the morning of the event. Prize winners will be drawn and announced so that winners can collect prizes as they finish golfing.
Registration is now open for the eighth annual Charlie Miller Bowtie Classic Golf Outing and Knowledge Open. The event, the largest annual fundraiser for the La Crosse Public Education Foundation, will be held on Saturday, Sept. 5 at Forest Hills Golf Course, with staggered tee times starting at 7:30 a.m.
Coulee Region Mechanical is the presenting sponsor.
Registration is $80 per person prior to July 31.
The event honors the late Dr. Charles Miller III, who served 15 years on the Board of Education and was a co-founder of LPEF. Teams compete not just on golf skills in the scramble format. The event includes a unique feature: the Knowledge Open Challenge. At a limited number of holes on the course, questions are asked by National Honor Society students. Each event foursome, as a team, answers the questions during its round of play. Teams’ final scores are based on their golf game as well as their performance on the quiz.
Teams play for the benefit of schools in the School District of La Crosse, with the first-place team winning a $500 grant for a school. Second prize is $250. Third prize is $125 and the highest-scoring team also wins $125 for a school.
2019 Bowtie Classic shatters fundraising record with nearly $36,000 raised for La Crosse schools
Other major sponsors
A day of fun and fundraising was on tap Saturday, Aug. 31 at the seventh Charlie Miller Bowtie Classic Golf Outing and Knowledge Open. Nearly $36,000 was raised after expenses as 110 golfers teed off at the event that benefits the La Crosse Public Education Foundation.
Our 2019 presenting sponsor was Waste Management, which provides waste disposal and recycling services for the School District of La Crosse.
The Bowtie Classic recognizes and honors Dr. Charles Miller III, a co-founder of LPEF and a longtime member of the Board of Education in La Crosse. Dr. Miller was a surgeon at Gundersen Health System. He died unexpectedly while playing racquetball in May 2011. His family was represented again at this year’s event by daughter Jeanie Everson and her husband Fred. The Miller family provides sponsorship money to allow student teams to golf in the Bowtie Classic.
Teams compete not just on golf skills in the scramble format. The event includes a unique feature: the Knowledge Open Challenge. At various holes on the course, questions are asked by National Honor Society students. Each event foursome, as a team, answers the questions during its round of play. Teams’ final scores are based on their golf game as well as their performance on the quiz.
Teams play for the benefit of schools in the School District of La Crosse, with the first-place team winning a $500 grant for a school. Second prize was $250. Third prize was $125 and the highest-scoring team also won $125 for a school. Awards were sponsored by Lifetouch, which also provided support to discount registration fees for school teams.
Here are the winning foursomes:
Photos of the foursomes are courtesy of Nick Marcou.
The 2019 Bowtie Classic was presented by Waste Management.
Other major sponsors included: Marine Credit Union, Festival Foods, Coulee Region Mechanical, Lifetouch, LHI and the Weber Family Foundation, Beinborn Painting, Bray Architects, Complete Control, Coulee Bank, DeBoer Pest Control, GO Riteway, HSR Associates, Kaplan Professional Education, Mathy Construction, and the La Crosse Tribune.
One lucky golfer had the opportunity to win a new 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback (courtesy of Toyota of La Crosse) by hitting a hole in one on Hole No. 7 during the event.
A special thank you to the family of Dr. Charles Miller III, including Susan Miller, Jeanie Everson, Charlie Miller IV and Heather Marie Miller and their families for continuing support and sponsoring student golfers at the Bowtie Classic.
Four for Fore Hole Sponsors (each sponsored four holes)
- Five Star Telecom
- McCabe Roofing
- Thompson Animal Medical Center
- Xcel Energy
- Altra Federal Credit Union
- Brenengen Auto Group
- Gundersen Health System
- Masters Building Solutions
- S&S Cycle
- Tri-State Carpets
- US Bank
- These major sponsors also received recognition as Quiz Sponsors: Beinborn Painting, Bray Architects, Complete Control, Coulee Bank, Coulee Region Mechanical, DeBoer Pest Control, Festival Foods, GO Riteway, HSR Associates, Kaplan Professional Education, LHI, Lifetouch, Marine Credit Union, Mathy Construction, and Waste Management.
Other Hole Sponsors
- Ken French
- Mark Glendenning/Margie Webster
- Troy & Megan Harcey (2)
- Jerry & Nan Kember
- Fred & Janet Kusch
- Jeff Meyer
- Randy & Lynn Nelson
- Tim Padesky & Tara Johnson
- Barb Schultz
- Tom & Judy Sleik
- Judy & Dick Swantz
- Tom & Jean Thompson
- Stephen & Katherine Webster
- Associated Benefits & Risk Consulting
- Benefit Plan Administrators/3PAdministrators
- The Board Store
- Brickl Brothers
- Citizens State Bank
- EO Johnson
- Firefighters Credit Union
- Klich Electric
- La Crosse Area Retired Educators’ Association
- La Crosse Education Association
- Lackore Electric Motor Repair
- News 8 WKBT
- Prairie Farms Dairy
- Reinhart Foodservice (2)
- Ron Hammes Refrigeration
- Skyward (2)
- UW-L Foundation
- Western Technical College
Thanks to the following for donating prizes: Golden Ticket raffle – Kendell Doors; Jay and Barb Nick, Mary Larson. Main raffle – Forest Hills Golf Course; Pischke Motors; Dalco; Brandon Prinsen of Johns, Flaherty & Collins; Logan and Central high school activities departments; Fred and Janet Kusch; Randy and Lynn Nelson; Mary Larson; Green Bay Packers; Milwaukee Brewers; Minnesota Twins; Minnesota Vikings; Midwest TV & Appliance; Werner Electric; Xcel Energy; Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Hole contest prizes provided by: Big Al’s Pizza; The Crow; David Reay’s; Dublin Square; Famous Dave’s; Howie’s; Northland Golf; Schmidty’s; 4 Sisters; Tammy Larson and Shawn Dutchin
Water provided by: Gillette Pepsi-Cola Bottling of La Crosse
Special thanks to Central and Logan National Honor Society students for helping with the Knowledge Open.
Bowtie Classic Chairman: Superintendent Randy Nelson. Planning committee: Dick Swantz, Jerry Kember, Ken French, Troy Harcey, Joe Ledvina, Tammy Larson, Shawn Dutchin, Keith Stoll, Fred Kusch, David Stoeffler
Click below for reports and photos from prior Bowtie Classics: