Saturday, September 9, 2023
The 2023 Bowtie Classic sponsors, golfers, and raffle ticket purchasers raised $25,000 for La Crosse Schools!
– 1st Place team won a $1000 grant for Southern Bluffs Elementary
– 2nd Place team won a $500 grant for La Crosse Logan High School
– 3rd Place team won a $250 grant for Northside Elementary/Coulee Montessori
– Highest team score won a $250 grant for North Woods International
Check out event photos on our Facebook.
Thank you to our other 2023 Bowtie Classic Sponsors!
Honor Roll Sponsors
Double Quiz Sponsors
Thompson Animal Medical Center
Tim Padesky and Tara Johnson
Renning, Lewis & Lacy, S.C.
La Crosse Area Retired Educators’ Association
La Crosse Education Association
River Valley Chiropractic
WKBT News Channel 8
Elizabeth Goli Ranger
Tom and Judy Sleik
Jerry and Nan Kember
Brad and Gail Quarberg
Randy and Lynn Nelson
Tom Thompson and Jean Heyt Thompson
About the Bowtie Classic
The Bowtie Classic is the LPEF’s primary annual fundraiser in support of classroom grants and other programs.
The event is named in honor of Dr. Charles Miller III, a co-founder of LPEF and a longtime member of the Board of Education in La Crosse. Dr. Miller — who was known for his signature bowties — was a surgeon at Gundersen Health System. He died unexpectedly while playing racquetball in May 2011. Susan Miller and her family continue to be very involved in the event, including providing sponsorship money to allow student teams to golf in the Bowtie Classic.
The Bowtie Classic includes a unique feature: the Knowledge Open Challenge. At each hole National Honor Society students ask teams trivia questions for an opportunity to improve their golf score. Final scores are based each team’s golf score combined with performance on the quiz!
Where the money goes?
The Bowtie Classic provides vital support for Gold Star Grants, Random Acts of Kindness, and LPEF’s other programs. Learn more:
- Twice-annual Gold Star Grants to spur classroom innovation. Many programs are supported through endowment funds established by visionary community leaders and individuals with a passion for public education.
- Support for staff development and teacher excellence.
- Random Acts of Kindness funds to remove obstacles facing individual students.
- Thank a Teacher Day and other community activity that increases support for public education and teachers.