Random Acts of Kindness
The La Crosse Public Education Foundation’s Random Acts of Kindness Fund helps students overcome roadblocks to achievement by addressing needs in areas such as nutrition, transportation, academic and co-curricular support.
When two children suffered the tragic death of their father, Random Acts of Kindness funds helped their working mother pay for transportation to be sure the children made it to school and got home safely each day.
When a high school student was selected for a prestigious national contest but could not afford the travel costs, support from generous donors allowed LPEF to offer a special grant. The student was able to join classmates in Washington, D.C., and competed against teams from across the United States.
When a new student arrived at school without a backpack and other basic supplies, Random Acts of Kindness funds allowed the school to buy the needed items and help the child move seamlessly into her classroom.
Random Acts of Kindness funds are controlled by each building principal and may be used confidentially at their discretion to:
- Meet an individual student’s needs
- Enhance a student’s ability to learn
- Benefit a student whose family is struggling financially.
This year, LPEF expects to provide more than $20,000 in Random Acts of Kindness support to district schools. Examples of uses include:
- Field trip costs
- Bus passes
- Snow boots/winter clothing
- Reading glasses
- Lab fees
- Instrument rental/sheet music
- College entrance exam fees
- Graduation caps and gowns
- Alarm clocks
- Taxi service to transport ill students/parents to conferences
- Clothing for musical/theater performances