About LPEF’s Support-A-School Program
To apply online for a Support-A-School project, click here.
Support-A-School is an online donation platform – hosted by the La Crosse Public Education Foundation – open to use by public schools, Parent Teacher Organizations and individual staff members in the School District of La Crosse.
Support-A-School provides educators with an alternative way to raise funds for important classroom projects through a low-cost, locally operated “crowdfunding” site. Proposed projects go through a quick and simple application process – with appropriate approvals by the School District of La Crosse.
This program is separate from the regular LPEF program of grants to support innovation and proven practices. School staff will continue to have the opportunity to apply twice a year for outright grants in support of creative projects. Those grants total more than $50,000 a year.
INFORMATION FOR EDUCATORS
Any public school, PTO or individual staff member in the School District of La Crosse may submit a project for funding through the Support-a-School Program.
- Use the online form to submit a proposal.
- Proposals must explain how the project will enhance learning opportunities for students in a particular District classroom or school.
- The minimum project request is $100. There is no maximum.
- Fundraising for each project is limited to a 60-day period, but projects may be repeated.
- Applications are submitted for review by appropriate District personnel (principals, curriculum supervisors, and/or director of Technology Services). Once approved, fundraising can begin.
Upon completion, money is disbursed to the School District of La Crosse – for use by the specific school(s) listed in the project description using normal District purchasing procedures.
FALLING SHORT OR EXCEEDING THE GOAL
- If fundraising falls short of the goal, money will be used to fulfill as much of the project as feasible.
- If fundraising exceeds the goal, the project will be expanded or money will go to a similar purpose at the same school.
INFORMATION FOR DONORS
All donations to LPEF are tax-deductible.
- Donors will receive an email confirming completion of credit card processing.
- In addition, donors will receive a tax acknowledgement letter from LPEF.
- A list of donors, mailing address and email address (if consent is given) will be shared with the project applicant, although donation amounts will remain confidential. Donors also may request to remain anonymous.
- The minimum donation for any project is $10.00.
LPEF adds a 10% surcharge to the project fundraising goal and will retain a similar percentage of all funds raised to offset credit card processing fees and related expenses.
This surcharge is significantly less than the fees charged by DonorsChoose.org.
While the LPEF rate is slightly more than what is charged by GoFundMe.com, most donations to GoFundMe.com, as they explain on their site, are considered ‘personal gifts’ and may only be claimed as a tax deduction if made to a legally registered nonprofit organization.
Donations to LPEF are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
If you have any questions about Support-a-School, please contact:
LPEF Executive Director David Stoeffler
Office: (608) 787-0226